Friday, July 29, 2011

John Cholish: An Ultimate Fighter Serious About Nutrition

If you were ever faced with a situation where you had to defend yourself, would you be able to? John Cholish most definitely would be. A former wrestler turned jiu jitsu, boxing and ultimate fighting champion, John is a fit, well-trained athlete with a passion for physical activity, and a knack for moving fast. Dedicated to his sport, John is gaining momentum as an MMA fighter within his community and beyond, and is on his way to join the higher ranks. 

Photos courtesy of Lucas Noonan
Only in his 20s, John Cholish has accomplished more than some people accomplish in a lifetime. Not only did he graduate from Ivy League school Cornell, where he majored in applied economics and management, as well as lead the wrestling team, John has held prestigious professional positions at Morgan Stanley and Intercontinental Exchange, all while training almost daily for his next fight. 

“I’m the kind of person who can’t sit still. My life is busy, but I love my job, and love my sport. There’s no way I’d live my life any differently, “ said John.  “Don’t get me wrong, it’s a challenge to perform my best at work and then give it my all at the gym every night, but it’s what I have to do to accomplish my professional and fighting goals.”   

John didn’t get where he is today on a whim – it has taken years of dedication , hard work, and thousands of hours of rigorous training to be able to hold his own in the ring, in front of thousands of people. As a wrestler for most of his life, John made the transition to jiu jitsu, boxing and fighting after he graduated college. Since then, he has not only gotten serious about training hard six days a week, he has nailed down his nutritional needs to provide his body the proper fuel it needs to perform at its peak.

Photos courtesy of Lucas Noonan
“To stay on track, I work with a nutritionist and four specialized fighting coaches,” said John. “I make sure I’m getting proper nutrients by eating a lot of organic and raw foods, as well as drinking cheribundi daily – one in the morning and one after training. I find that when I eat right, and get my cherry juice, I experience less soreness and I’m able to recover more quickly from workouts.”

Nutrition, training and good coaches are imperative to a fighter’s chances of “winning.” However, to really “win,” or fulfill that drive and satisfaction that comes from giving it your all, John says, “you have to be in it for the right reasons. No matter what it is you do, if you are passionate and are truly in love with your practice, that’s when you will go farthest.”

Photos courtesy of Lucas Noonan
Take it from John – if you have a goal in mind, all it takes is a commitment, passion and drive to achieve it. Not only does he aspire to be the best he can be, but he serves as a role model for the rest of us, who are all on our way to achieving our own greatness, one day at a time.

Want to learn more about John Cholish? Check out his story in the news:


No comments:

Post a Comment